Homeowners Association (HOA) Law
Is your homeowners association (HOA) giving you grief? Causing you concern? Contact me today for a free phone consultation.
I have a niche practice representing homeowners in disputes with HOAs. I work with homeowners all over Southern California. I’m here to help you! I truly love what I do.
I’ve been practicing HOA law for 16 years. The first four years I represented HOAs, and learned that while HOAs have deep pockets to buy representation (your money!), homeowners have limited options. HOA law is complex and specialized. Homeowners need lawyers with the expertise to navigate through it. I will navigate through it for you! My experience includes:
- In San Bernardino court, I represented homeowners in a trial wherein their HOA was suing them for thousands of dollars for failure to get their backyard landscaping approved. We tried the case and won. My clients were even awarded their attorney’s fees!
- In Orange County court, I successfully negotiated a settlement with a homeowners association at the 11th hour when my client was about to lose his home. He had lost his job and fell behind with his assessments, incurring late fees, interest at 12 percent, and exorbitant HOA attorney’s fees. The HOA demanded more than $50,000 total, but we settled the case–which included cutting two-thirds of the HOA attorney’s fees–so my client could sell his property free and clear.
- In San Diego, I helped a homeowner complete his architectural approval package for hardwood floors by writing a letter to his association citing California law that permits a variance for an accessibility issue for hardwood floors that were not permitted by his HOA. He had tried previously on three occasions. With my assistance, his application was approved.
- In Los Angeles court, we successfully sued an HOA for wrongfully terminating my client’s voting rights in retaliation for making complaints about the Board of Directors. My client’s voting rights were reinstated, and the HOA was made to reimburse all of his attorney’s fees. The Board President resigned after this case, sold his home, and moved out of the community.
- In Orange County, I helped a client negotiate with a notoriously strict homeowners association to get them agree to reduce my client’s past-due assessments, agree to a monthly payment plan, and remove the assessment lien on their home.
I am a litigator but I also help navigate board member problems, unfair violation notices/hearings, your association’s spending, recall elections, dispute resolution, architectural approval processes, neighbor disputes, document requests, the length of your grass or color of your fence, and so much more.
Even if your assessments are behind and the HOA is making foreclosure threats, we can get you free and clear. I also help with pre-foreclosure, non-judicial foreclosures and post-foreclosure debts. Let’s try and save your home!
Contact me today for a free phone consultation.
It’s clear that once I got rid of the original attorney and hired Danielle, the HOA’s attorney started treating us with respect, because they know her reputation. Danielle is a no-nonsense, highly efficient attorney. She told me where I stood, and made a quick favorable settlement–exactly as she said she would.
She followed through with action, even when our case took unexpected turns. Her hard work paid off, the Judge granted us everything we asked for!
The HOA was restricting the type of flooring that I could put into my CONDO…. With one letter from Danielle where she cited case law appropriate for my request; The HOA immediately approved my request. Danielle is the most knowledgeable person I have ever worked with on HOA issues. I would give her a 10 star rating if I could!
She guided me every step of the way and fought for me. I really can’t thank her enough. If you want great results hire Danielle.
Danielle helped me file suit against the HOA and the management company….. Danielle’s consistent pressure on the defendants and victories in court put us in a great negotiating position to settle. The settlement, paid by the HOA and management company to me, covered all my lawyer/court expenses, covered all repairs necessary from the retaliatory vandalism, and put a little extra cash in my pocket…. Danielle clearly understands the law and she fights hard on behalf of the little guy (the homeowner).
Danielle Wakefield has been our HOA’s legal counsel for the past 2 years and also helped us update our CC&R’s. She is extremely thorough, honest, and always does a great job for us.